Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Joe Cawley~ More Ketchup than Salsa Confessions of a Tenerife Barman~

Read: On Kindle
Paid:  £1.99p
Reason I choose it: The author started following me on Twitter (but isn't anymore)
 
Summary
Joe is working  at a poultry and meat stall in a market in Bolton wondering about life when Joy his girlfriend turns up to surprise him after returning home from her holiday. She takes Joe to one side and announces plans to own a business in Tenerife. From what first seemed as a joke suddenly turns in to reality with a little ups and downs along the way, Joe, Joy, Joe's brother David, his wife Faith and a cat suddenly find themselves in the land of fantasy. On the first day there they begin their new life only to realise that living there isn't quite what they had imagined....
 
My Opinion
I am someone who is attracted to a book by its cover and for months I have been clicking on the icon on Amazon but then backed out because the only thing I know about Tenerife is the booze and partying which isn't my thing at all so I imagined I wouldn't like this book. When the author started following me on Twitter I decided to take the plunge and see what the book is about as after all I will read anything but it doesn't mean I'll always like it.
 
I loved the authors writing style as it just pulled you  along for a book that didn't really have all that much to read about. You get caught up in how dull their life had become between work and sleep with a few adventures in between and a couple of funny mishaps as well as wanting to shake a few people in to waking them up to what they choose to do at the time.
 
I think it would have been nicer if the author was more at the bar then in the kitchen as we would have maybe experienced even more stories of the customers, their personalities etc... as you do get some descriptions of those people that have stuck in the authors mind as I bet there would have been even more stories to tell then the couple we did get to read which were good.
 
I would have loved to have read more about the mums coming over, to find out about the cat as we only heard of its arrival and that's it, to know what was going on with their neighbour etc....
 
Still I'm aware there is a sequel to this and if it is a reasonable price I will be buying it as I'm curious  to know how things turned out. Also it wasn't completely booze filled as I imagined.
 
My Rating
For the fact that it is a fairly quick read (so great if going on holiday) and that its one to consider if moving abroad to work in a catering business I would rate this as..
strawberry4stargood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...