Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Jonas Jonasson ~100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared~

 
Read: On Kindle
Paid: 20p
Reason I choose it: The interesting cover, title and the idea of it sounded interesting.

Summary
It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people's home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not...Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. His adventure then begins....
 
My Opinion
It started off great, was very engaging and entertaining. The story switches between the present and the past... so ends up going full circle of him ending up outside the window at the beginning and end which mean you learn of Allan's whole life. It isn't until Allan is in the past and leaving Sweden did the story begin to get really dull as for a man who supposedly dislikes politics and religion ends up in these very situations which completely go over my head and bore me almost to death. The present part is interesting and still quite engaging but then that too gets wary as everything in Allan's life just seems to fall completely in to place. He's a man that always has a roof over his head and a meal as well as Vodka available whenever he needs it. Still he gets to travel the world, master many languages but most of all meet every single president of the country that he seems to travel in and have a glass a vodka or five with them.
 
By the end I didn't care for Allan or any of the other characters, I just wanted the book to end which it did in a really awful way but then the whole book was just completely insane with laughable moments, completely nutty ones and just sticking in any random act in to it. It reminded me a little of Stephan Kings Needful Things.
 
I was actually between thinking I like this book, actually I don't like it... actually I like it... well it ended unfortunately with me not enjoying it. I also at one point thought it would be a great book for boys but I'm not too sure with all the bomb and alcohol talk but I guess its what ever floats your boat...
 
Rating
 photo strawberry2star.jpg

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...